Vermaelen Play Left Back? I Think Not!
Lots of rumors still going on today and while I’d love to talk about it, you can just look at my last couple posts and it will basically cover it. Gervinho in London, Alvarez wants Arsenal move, Cesc wants Barca move and may get it and we might get Cahill…done. New news is City want Clichy…so lets hike the price up to 25 mil 😉
This post I wanted to talk about our defense a little bit and with the potential signing of Cahill we will have quite a few Center Backs. Some have suggested that we put Vermaelen as our left back for our departing Clichy. I for one am very opposed to that, why you might ask?
1. He’s a center back, just because you have a left foot and play defense doesn’t mean your cut out for the left back spot. Example would be Holger Badstuber of Bayern Munich. He’s a Center Back who has played Left back for both Bayern and Germany. In the World Cup he was benched for his pathetic performance and didn’t see much action the rest of the time.
2. Arsenal would be wasting his talent putting him on the left because of the attacking threat he poses. He doesn’t pose that threat from the sides, but through the middle. All of his shooting goals are from the middle and we haven’t even seen him cross a ball (although he can’t be much worse than Clichy or Sagna).
3. Vermaelen’s speed, height, and physicality is all designed for a center back. As a left back he would be as clumsy and out of place as Paul Robinson of Bolton.
4. Our best defender should not be deployed on the outside, he’s the heart of the defense and is a leader for this team. If Van Persie isn’t playing, he will be captain and needs to lead from the middle.
5. Because of the high line we play, his tactical maturity, anticipation, and basically his mentality in general makes him one of the best defenders in England. Watching the last few games of the year I watched how much we really missed him and the way he can handle the balls over the top while Kos really struggles with them.
So in review, lets just BUY a left back…easier said than done I know but still…Vermaelen is not an option for me and I don’t think it is for Wenger either.